Friday, October 17, 2008


bye-bye levi

i'm not going to lie. when it comes to '60s boy bands i am all about the temps. back in the day i was totally mesmerized by the late paul williams. his voice was so smooth, so haunting--particularly when he performed "for once in my life" on that "tcb" tv special featuring the temps and diana ross & the supremes. that boy felt every lyric of that song.

and he was fine.

but i also loved levi stubbs, who passed today at age 72. paul died young when i was just a kid. i grew old, however, with my other crush, the lead singer of the four tops. i loved levi's vocals on "reach out (i'll be there)." remember that as the closing theme in "cooley high?"

1 comment:

BigCNYC said...

I don't understand why Levi's death wasn't a CNN breaking news alert. I too was more into the Temptations, so most people I told of Levi's death, but I remember Levi fondly. With that grey outline of his beard, he always looked sharp. 72 is too young to go.