Thursday, November 6, 2008


Poitier-Carroll Love Child Surfaces!

One of the things that Diahann Carroll left out of her recent revealing biography, "The Legs Are the Last to Go," was the fact that she and ex-lover Sidney Poitier had a secret love child who was conceived during the filming of "Paris Blues."

The child, let's call her Baracka, tracked down her bio parents at an A-list Hollywood event in the '90s and watched while Mr. Poitier and Ms. Carroll argued about her paternity. A bystander at that Women in Film event honoring Ms. Carroll reported that the actress accused Mr. Poitier of being a "Calypso-loving, brown-bagging ho" who knocked her up in the prime of her career.

Upon hearing himself described in that way, Mr. Poitier claimed that sisters like Ms. Carroll were the reason why "black males gravitate toward the white women who adore them."

"It got pretty ugly," the source said. "And I felt so bad for their daughter. She didn't even have enough money to valet her car and had riden her bike."

While Ms. Carroll did spend some time talking with Baracka--telling her she should stop dressing like she shopped at a "Compton Flea Market"--Mr. Poitier totally ignored his alleged child and began chatting up Jane Fonda.

Today Baracka (who preferred not to reveal her real name) spends a lot of time on the couch critiquing her parents' early films. Peep-Ho magazine tracked Baracka down at The Grove recently where she was perusing the sale racks at the Nike store. Dressed in Nike sweat pants, a hoodie and last year's Ugg boots, Baracka said that she was hurt that her mother didn't mention her in her new memoir.

"She spent half the book trashing my father, a man who did her so wrong," Baracka said wistfully. "Yes, I am hurted. I could have brought her so much joy. We could have done a mother and daughter spread in Essence, or a photo spread in Ebony standing in front of our big house with our 10 cars. Instead I have to stand in line at Book Soup just to see her.

"I'm not bitter though. My adoptive parents did the best they could. Last year they gave me a 1967 Ford Country Squire station wagon for my birthday. I was cruising. This year, they forgot to call, but that's OK. That night I had sex with an old head I met at Lucy Florence and he left me some McDonald's coupons in the morning. He didn't have to do that."

Baracka says that she has no plans to reach out to either of her parents in the near future. Instead, she plans on writing her own book.

"I'm going to call it 'The Parents Are the First to Bolt: Dirty Diahann and Sorry-Ass Sidney."

1 comment:

Regina is... said...

you have peaked delirium! :-)